Manuscript and Portfolio Consultation Information:
Manuscript and Portfolio Consultations will be offered this year as 15-minute phone conversations. When you register, you will be able to choose your reviewer and one fifteen-minute slot. You will only be able to see reviewers and time slots that are still available. Phone consultations are being offered on Friday, October 22nd, 1-4:15pm EST, Saturday, October 23rd, 6-9:15pm EST, Sunday, October 24th, 6-9:15pm EST or Monday, October 25th, 10-1:15pm EST. You may choose one manuscript/PB dummy or one portfolio consultation
Please read the guidelines and follow the steps:
Conference attendees can register for one manuscript/PB Dummy/Portfolio consultation. The additional fee for this option is $55. To reserve a consultation spot you must register for the conference AND email your manuscript (instructions below.) Portfolios must be available online through a website.
Please read the following BEFORE registering:
For manuscripts and PB Dummies, you will receive two forms of written feedback: notes written directly on your manuscript and a detailed evaluation form which highlights your story’s strengths and weaknesses. You will also receive a 15-minute follow-up phone call with your reviewer to ask any additional questions.
For Portfolio reviews, you will receive written feedback through a detailed evaluation form which highlights your portfolio’s strengths and weaknesses. You will also receive a 15-minute follow-up meeting with your reviewer via ZOOM to ask any additional questions. A link to join your ZOOM meeting will be sent to you a few weeks before the conference.
Please follow all the guidelines listed below. Failure to do so may result in missing out on all or part of your consultation. No refunds will be given for manuscript consultations. Review the bios of the manuscript and portfolio consultants here. Select one or two as a back-up in case your first choice is no longer available.
During the registration process, you will have the option to select a consultation. Select the faculty member and time slot desired. Only faculty with open spots will be available
for selection. TAKE NOTE OF THE TIME SLOT YOU SELECTED.
Once your registration is complete, email your submission to email@example.com by SEPTEMBER 20, 2021.
For Portfolio reviews, please email a link to your portfolio and be sure to name your reviewer in the subject line of the email. DO NOT attach any images.
For Manuscript reviews, please email the first 10 pages of your manuscript and synopsis, if necessary, (see below) as ONE document:
● Your 10 pages should be double spaced and in 12 point Arial or Times New Roman font. Please see FORMATTING GUIDELINES below for further details, if necessary.
● You must name your WORD DOC (or PDF for a PB Dummy) using the following format:
○ For Example: TheHungerGames_SuzanneCollins_YA.doc
● Please make sure your name, email, and phone number is at the top of the first page of your document. If you don’t include your contact info, you may not receive your written notes or your follow-up phone call. (Cover pages are not necessary.)
● For MG, YA, and nonfiction books, please include a brief synopsis. The synopsis does not count as part of the 10 page limit, but it must be included as part of ONE document. (PB submissions, including NF PBs do not need to include a synopsis.)
● Email this single WORD DOC attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 20, 2021.
● In the subject line of your email place the name of your reviewer first, followed by your name, the name of your book, and the genre. For example: Sara Sargent – Suzanne Collins – THE HUNGER GAMES – YA
● Manuscripts received after the September 20 deadline will not be forwarded to reviewers. All submissions are final. Once you send in your pages you may not send in updates.
Manuscripts should be double spaced and with 12 point Arial or Times New Roman. All submissions must include your contact information on the first page, similar to this example:
For picture books, submit the complete text of ONE picture book.
For chapter books and novels, submit only the first 10 pages, even if it cuts off mid-chapter.
Include a one-page, single-spaced synopsis.
● You will receive your marked-up pages and a written evaluation form a few days prior to your scheduled call.
● Your reviewer will call you for your follow-up phone call on the day and time you selected when you registered. You must be available at that time. If you miss your call, we are not able to reschedule.
● PLEASE NOTE: Your reviewer may call you from a phone number that shows as “Unknown Caller” on caller ID. Please be aware of this and answer your phone at the scheduled time.
Due to the sheer number of manuscript consultations, we cannot make any changes to call times or reviewer assignments. If you have any questions, please email Jess Stork at email@example.com or Deb Shumaker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include MANUSCRIPT CONSULTATION QUESTION as the subject of your email